Being a dentist is something I have worked toward my entire life.
I love what I do and feel blessed to be able to help people – whether alleviating pain, restoring the ability to chew, brightening a smile and a person’s confidence, or providing a worry-free exam – I have the opportunity to truly touch others’ lives.
That is especially meaningful to me as I serve my hometown community. I grew up in Martinez and attended both Augusta State University and The Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University (previously known as the Medical College of Georgia School of Dental Medicine).
I care about our community and am honored to see and care for so many wonderful people: neighbors, friends, and friends-to-be! I work hard to form a one-to-one connection with each person, based on open communication, respect, and compassion, and always treat individuals as part of my family.
Dentistry is a personal space for many people and being in a comfortable, reassuring, and calm environment can diminish a person’s anxiety. Some of my patients have started with me experiencing fear at the thought of a procedure, due to traumatic past experiences. My team and I make it our mission to help such people overcome their anxiety through coaching, sedation, and painless injections, along with personalized care.
My team is exceptional and the strength of this practice. Together we have created and maintain a positive and healthy environment for our patient family and ourselves. My team goes the extra mile to ensure each patient has a comfortable and enjoyable experience, always listening, reassuring, and encouraging our patients.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, minor in Biology, Augusta State University, graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Doctorate of Dental Medicine, Medical College of Georgia School of Dental Medicine
During college and dental school, I pursued many research projects and published several scholarly articles on xerostomia, malocclusion, and implantology. I was honored to receive the Undergraduate Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Academic Achievements in the Profession of Dentistry from the Pierre Fauchard Academy.
Since graduation, I have committed to life-long learning to focus on evidence-based dentistry and complete about 300 continuing education hours per year. My continuing education credits include:
- Essentials Levels 1-3 at the Pankey Institute in Key Biscayne, Florida
- American Academy of Facial Esthetics
- Levels I-III in Botulinum Toxin and Dermal Fillers
- Master Injector for Healthcare Professionals in Facial Aesthetics
- Solid Filler Lifting/Smooth PDO Threads
- Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University Maxi Implant Course by the American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Lasers for Hard and Soft Tissues by the Academy of Laser Dentistry
- Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University
- Cone Beam Computed Tomography
- Indirect Ceramic Restorations
I am actively involved in local dental societies and meetings as well. The numerous professional memberships that I belong to provide a multitude of webinars and online learning that I often watch and can acquire more CE credit.
My constant eagerness to learn allows me to integrate medicine into my practice to improve the patients’ wellness. I can customize splint therapy or use Botox treatment to resolve headaches and help TMD-TMJ patients to improve comfort.
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- American Academy of Facial Esthetics
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Academy of Laser Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- Georgia Dental Association
- Augusta Dental Society
- Augusta Dental Disaster Society
- Pankey Alumni Association
- Spear Education Study Club
Beyond the Practice
After growing up in Martinez, I’ve lived in Evans for a number of years. My husband, Dave Wheeler, is a Staff Sergeant with the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office. Dave’s from Lincolnton and is an avid hunter, artist, and cross-fitter. We share our lives with three much-loved dogs: Maddox and Jax, our dachshunds, and Lizzy, our bulldog.
Much of my non-work time is spent with Dave and our dogs. We enjoy watching movies and cheering for the Steelers. I also like reading, working out, and playing tennis. Dave and I are active members of Wesley United Methodist Church, too.